Monday, August 4, 2008

Enabling Clipboard sharing and Dynamic resizing in Virtual PC 2007

When i was using my SPS2003 installed virtual machine, I was able to share my clipboard contents between Virtual Machine and host machine. And I was able to resize the Virtual Machine by dragging its windows to a specific size and double clicking its bottom corner, by doing this i was able to fit the virtual machine screen to the window size adjusted by drag and drop.

But the above two options didn't work in the Virtual machine I got for MOSS. It was very inconvenient for me to work with out those options. i tried various things to set it correct..

I found that these functionalities are part of Virtual Machine additions and confirmed it is installed in my Virtual PC. Based on Virtual PC Guy's(Ben Armstrong) one of the
blog i got to know that "vmusrvc.exe" is the key component for these features. So to get the above two functionalities,i did the following..

checked the registry entries and found the following entries. If there are no Registry entries for Virtual Machine additions might not be installed on the Virtual Machine.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"VMUserServices"="C:\WINDOWS\VMADD\VMUSrvc.exe"

Also verified "VMUSrvc.exe" is available in the above location and confirmed it is running by task manager processes tab. but still i had no luck.

Finally i was able to do it by closing the VMUSrvc.exe from task manager processes and restarting it from the location "C:\WINDOWS\VMADD\VMUSrvc.exe". A simple workaround resolved my long lasting issue and made me happy:)

1 comment:

rezsolutions said...

Just tried all your steps, the steps worked but I can still not copy from virtual pc (server 2003) -> host (windows 7). Would like to hear other ideas (maybe missing configuration or is this supposed to work by default?)